The past forms an area of people’s lives which is the most thought about, yet the most ignored. Often people feel helpless to let go of their past and move on, and keep carrying it like baggage. Many personality traits and ideas about oneself and others, especially the disempowering ones, can be traced back to incidents in the past. When an incident from the past leaves its mark on us and begins to limit our thinking, it is called a pattern. Whether it is low self-esteem, self-doubt, fear, anger, ego or powerlessness, all are patterns.
When you recall an incident from your life, and are able to feel the same emotions you felt when it was happening, it means you are holding on to your past. People are not able to let go of past hurts because, even though they may have ‘moved on’, they seldom heal the wounds that were caused during the event. The process of healing the wounds of the past is known as completion. It is only when completion with past incidents happens that you can be free from feelings of powerlessness. Completing or reliving the past incidents does not mean feeling like a victim or blaming yourself for past events. Rather, completion frees you from the influence of your past, so you have the inner strength to face anything in life.
To be free of the patterns that leave you powerless, Lord Shiva has given the solution very clearly in the 22nd verse of the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra of the Shiva Sutras. Lord Shiva says:
Look at your past, disidentified; let attention be at a place where you are seeing some past happening; and even your form, having lost its present characteristics, is transformed.
This technique helps you clear all the patterns of powerlessness that you might be carrying within that continue to cause you deep suffering.
Sit in front of a mirror and create a strong intention to be complete with your past patterns of powerlessness.
Look into the mirror; the form that reflects back at you and represents your incomplete part.
Start reliving the incident, and let your whole attention be on the incompletion being relived inside the mirror, with a clear understanding of being disidentified from it.
Whenever you begin to think, why did this happen to me and why did I react in this manner, tell yourself – “This happened because it happened! I reacted in this manner because I reacted in this manner!” Do not try to find a reason for what happened, and don’t let the past be a reason to hold on to the current patterns.
With this clarity, keep reliving the incomplete childhood incidents in the mirror. You will see that the childhood form you recall having at the time when the incident happened, will melt down and will lose its power over you.
- Sit in a comfortable position facing the mirror
- Connect with the person in the mirror
- Look directly into the eyes of the person in the mirror
- Contemplate on incidents/situations in your life where you experience low level energy emotions such as anger, guilt, frustration, agitation with yourself (incompletion in some form) from those incidents/situations – in the present moment
- Take responsibility for liberating yourself from this incompletion that you have kept alive for yourself
- Re-live those incidents/situations and talk aloud with the person in the mirror
- Repeat re-living the incidents/situations and continue talking again and again till you experience being free of the low level emotions inside you
- Repeat this process each time you are stuck with low level emotions related to yourself.